Monday, August 24, 2015

What I learned from Daniel Tiger

We have been having serious anger issues lately with my two and 1/2 year old and I am having the hardest time trying to teach him why it is not ok to throw things/take things/punch people ect. He is actually a very well behaved child but when he does get angry it is like a tornado, quickly touches down, does ALOT of damage, then goes away!
Because of his age he can only understand so much. This means "talking through it" isn't always an option because he just stares at me like "if i sit here and pretend to listen for just a bit longer I know you'll let me leave and go play with my toys" Its times like that I don't know what to do!?
One TV show we have been watching for a long time is Daniel Tiger. It is a cartoon/remake of mr. rogers. It is actually a very cute and sometimes annoying but they have these mini songs that go with each episode. we have tried very hard to use this as a technique and I think it is actually very successful. The one we use the most in our house is "when your feeling frustrated, take a step back and ask for help" but it is so much easier to resort to these little jingles because he remembers them and can relate to them immediately. I don't know how much of a difference this is actually making but this is my attempt to find more creative ways to teach kids who have not fully mentally developed. plus it helps me control myself. All i'm saying is that this is one out of the box method. sometimes its better to let your tv teach the principle and then you inforce it.
with that being said I want to throw out one caution to the wind.... watch the shows your kids watch. make sure they are leaning the things you want them to be learning and that they are not just waisting their time in front of a screen. We are very selective about screen time at our house. what we watch and how long we watch. Kids who are not in school yet don't have a lot of social interaction so they pick up what they watch on the tv. If you don't like how they characters in the show are acting, its time to find something else!

No comments:

Post a Comment